walsingham

Latest news

Sign up to our email newsletter and we'll keep you updated.

View our printed newsletter archive.

Discovering the Medieval Dominicans

Thursday, September 10, 2015

The first day of the conference The Influences of the Dominican Order in the Middle Ages featured a number of fascinating insights into both the nature of their mission and their everyday lives. 

Among the highlights of the day was a walking tour of Oxford led by archaeologist George Lambrick, including the sites of the first (1221) and second (1246) medieval Dominican priories, as well as a visit to the current excavations of part of the Franciscan Greyfriars complex, and other key sites of the medieval town and the religious houses that grew up in a ring outside its walls. 

The Dominicans of the 13th century played an important and influential role in the development of the early University of Oxford. The second priory housed up to 100 friars and grew to be about the same size as Lincoln College is today - and about half the size of the modern Blackfriars priory. 

George Lambrick with delegates at the site of the first Dominican priory (1221) - roughly where Blue Boar quadrangle (Christ Church) stands today.

Andrew Brookes OP in front of the sole surviving section of wall from the second medieval Blackfriars (1246), comprehensively demolished at the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1538). This wall with two archways survives within a 17th-century building now part of the modern deaf and hard-of-hearing centre. 

The delegates surveyed the current excavations of the living quarters of medieval Greyfriars, from the roof of the Westgate shopping centre. The corner of the cloister can be seen at bottom left, and the kitchen with darkened earth in the centre foreground. Greyfriars and Blackfriars were located near to each other on the south side of the town between the wall and the river. 

The conference continues with a wide range of papers being presented on the Dominicans' influence on theology and philosophy, art and liturgy, music and more. 

Bones of friars and benefactors recovered from the excavations thirty years ago of the second Dominican priory are due to be reinterred in an ossuary within the modern Blackfriars in the near future. 

Further information on the history of the Oxford priories, including a film on the medieval priories with a 3D reconstruction, can be found here


Comments

Post has no comments.

Post a Comment


Captcha Image
Follow us
Great Dominicans

Great Dominicans

News

News

Consecrated Life

Consecrated Life

Recent posts


Liturgical index


All tags & authors


Archive

Upcoming events

Loading...
    View the full calendar